[pisa-src] Re: r1765 - trunk/pisacd/cdservers.c

  • From: Mircea Gherzan <mircea.gherzan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pisa-src@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:31:22 +0100

Tobias Heer <heer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ain't there a better way to do error handling here? I never really
> liked the goto jumps in HIPL but this kind of takes it to the
> extreme.

Not really. GOTO is _not_ bad. It's _the_ way of doing proper error
handling in a language that lacks exceptions. Thomas did a fine job.

Does HIPL take it to the extreme? Maybe. But so does the Linux
kernel :) And probably any *BSD kernel.

> In addition I really don't like the omission of braces for one-line
> if statements. This is quite error-prone, especially if people who
> have not written the code continue to work with it. I kon it is
> syntactically correct and it is slightly shorter but it is often the
> source of errors that are hard to find.

With today's GCC this is no longer error-prone, for a warning (asking
you to add 'em braces) is issued in the "error-prone" situations.
Therefore there's no need to worry.

--
Dipl.-Ing. Mircea Gherzan