[phpa] Re: mod_gzip and PHP

  • From: "Nick Lindridge" <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Blaz.Praper@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 20:50:32 -0000 ()

> well only mod_gzip causes slower page creation, coz mod_gzip compress
> output (this needs some time) but it saves a lot of bandwidth (faster
> page download). on the other hand phpa makes page creation bit (a lot)
> faster so

There's another consideration that I once read someone put forward, which
is that the extra work of compressing files might reduce server load.
As the output content can be significantly smaller, the server process may
complete its request sooner, therefore being ready to accept a new request
sooner, and so a smaller process pool may be required to handle a
continuous stream of requests.