[phpa] Re: files needed if using shm too?

  • From: Thomas <ts77@xxxxxx>
  • To: phpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:34:23 +0100

Nick Lindridge wrote:

>>Maybe a page which outputs 200K is a bit big ;-)
>>

>I'd say so. I'd click 'stop' and probably go to another site :-) Do you use
>mod_gzip? That can reduce content size dramatically.

Yeah I'm using mod_gzip ... the page-size is around 15 K then ;-).
But ab doesn't use gzip-compression so this doesn't come in effect.

I just tried it with pages around 40K (uncompressed ;-)) and the speed
increase in using phpa is around 50%.
Seems like there is more load in executing the pages than in compiling them
but 50% are quite noticeable :-).

>>Its running a customized Phorum-3.3.2 with some includes and so on ...
>>with the output of around 200 KB of the page its also not really small.
>>;-) But I think the load on the database is simply negating the effect
>>of phpa.
>>

>Not negating, but reducing. You'll always get a speed up, but if your
>system has other bottlenecks then they could be a dominant factor.

I will try to optimize the MySQL-server a bit.

>The concurrency level doesn't seem to make a huge difference, although the
>additional overhead does reduce the number of pages / sec by a bit.

yeah around 6 pages / sec ... a little bit slow ;-).

>Not at all, and I welcome the suggestions. I was also thinking about this
>last night after talking to someone else, and it should be fairly straight
>forward. From what I gather, APC took the decision to allocate multiple
>small segments to reduce cache contention, but I have doubts about whether
>that's efficient of effective. The PHPA cache design shouldn't stall that
>often because it supports simulataneous reading and writing, and also
>allows processes to be executing a script in the cache that at the same
>time is being rewritten with a new version.  But not having enough SHM *is*
>potentially a problem, and so this is something that I'll look to put in
>soon. It'll be a good 'Sunday afternoon' task :-)

Thanks a lot, it will be needed for sure.
Although it seems that phpa uses much less cache than apc.

Thomas