[phpa] PHPA for Mac

  • From: "Nick Lindridge" <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: phpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:01:13 -0000 (GMT)

Hi Philippe,

Perhaps some good news for you if you're still keen on PHPA for Mac.
Provided that you guarantee to not pass the source to others, please feel
free to open the attached source package for 1.2p5dev. This is 1.2p4 with
some features that go towards 1.2p5.

I've also attached porting instructions. Let me know if you have any
queries. Feel free to make any changes to code that you need to in order
for everything to compile. Don't worry about updating the flush script
because I'm taking that out of the final 1.2p5 release anyway. Once
compiled please just let me have the new source package back (or just tar
up the changed files) so that I can update the current source.

Good luck!

Nick

-- Type: application/x-gzip-compressed
-- File: phpa-pkg.1.2p5dev.20020329.tgz

-- File: PHPA_PORTING

                       A Guide to porting the PHP Accelerator
                       --------------------------------------

Try the following steps:

  1. You need PHP source distributions, e.g. /usr/local/src/php-4.1.1

  2. Assuming the source as in 1, create directory a directory for the phpa
     source. e.g.
        /usr/local/src/php_accelerator_1.2p4

  3. cd /usr/local/src/php_accelerator_1.2p4

  4. untar the phpa source

  5. edit the makefile. If for a new OS, create another OS specific section
     similar to the others. If a different variant of an existing OS, follow
     the example of the Solaris entry. The format of OS_NAME should end up
     being <os>-<os version>, e.g. freebsd-4.5, or

     It should also be a meaningful name and version combination that users
     would recognise.

  6. Set PHP_INSTALL_DIR to wherever it is, e.g. /usr/local/src as in 1.
     Using =? allows it to be set outside of make and for that to override
     the makefile setting

  7. Add a -D<os> entry to CC_FLAGS, and a symbol for the OS variant if
     necessary.

  8. Edit the makefile in phpa_cache_admin and add a new section similar to
     the main makefile if necessary. The OS config should be in a separate
     makefile include file at some point.

  9. Edit the flush-phpa-cache-tmpl script and change if necessary.
     Check the ipcs ipcrm man pages if necessary. Check that you are testing
     what uname is really returning. Once phpa is running, test that the
     script does remove the shm and semaphores when the web server is still
     running. phpa should remove the entries itself when the server stops.

 10. If you need any solaris specific notes, create a <os>_tmpl file for
     that platform, and add the file to the

       RELEASE_XTRAS_TMPLS variable in the main makefile

 11. Supposing you're using version 4.1.1 for PHP, type

            PHP_VERSION=4.1.1 make

     and see what happens.

 12. You should have two libraries in the libs directory, and customised
     versions of the _tmpl files.

 13. Try it!

 14. If all went well, then you can build a new source package with

       make package

     and there'll be a tgz file in packages

 15. Build web versions with

        PHP_VERSION=4.1.1 make clean webrelease

     The clean isn't needed if 4.1.1 was the last version you build, but it's
     best to make sure.

 16. If you have other PHP versions, e.g., 4.0.6, do

        PHP_VERSION=4.0.6 make clean webrelease

     so we get a 4.0.6 version too.

Note that you don't need to actually configure and build the php source
packages. Just having the unbuilt source available is sufficient.

When done, please send the tgz file from packages, and the tgz file(s) from
the web_releases directory.

Good luck!!