[phoenixdiy] Re: Meeting suggestion: Thursday, May 21st

  • From: Matt Mets <matt.mets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <phoenixdiy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 16:01:34 -0400

I was thinking about taking apart some household appliances and trying to
figure out how they worked.  We had some fun at my work a couple months ago
when we took apart my electric teakettle.  Maybe I'm just a gadget geek, but
I'm really enamored with the elegant design of most of these these things.  We
can either take something apart as a group or break into teams and try to
figure out why it was made that way, and then try to put it back together, find
something more interesting to make with the parts, or come up with a better
design if we didn't like that one.

I have an old tape player recorder and a digital camera that I can offer up, as
well as parts from an old laptop and some other 'junk' like that.  If anyone
has old tape decks or VCRs, we could go through how to identify interesting
components such as motors or switches and extract them.

There was some interest in this before, so if it sounds good we can certainly
do this at the meeting tomorrow.

Cheers,
Matt

Matt, what were you thinking for the
deconstruction/reverse-engineering/reconstruction workshop?