[phoenixdiy] Re: Howdy from Tucson

  • From: Michael Elliott <opporknockitytunes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: phoenixdiy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 23:03:01 -0700

> Are there any upcoming gatherings planned?

I don't think there is a specific event planned for a specific
time/date yet, but there is a sort-of discussion started about a
future event to include presentation on building a semi-recumbent
bicycle from recycled components, including adding an assist motor to
such a bike, with the motor and other parts to be repurposed from
other things, or (re)built from scratch if needed.   The discussion so
far (not much) is in the archives at the freelists.org site.

> I'm a computer geek who has branched out into cars and as of late scooters,
> I have a friend who is going to teach me welding and I've done basic wiring
> already in my automotive projects. I participated in the 2009 BABE Rally
> which is a road rally from New York to New Orleans in a $250 car which
> required some innovative repairs in-route and someday I'd love to do
> something like the Scooter Cannonball on a vintage scooter.

Sounds "interesting" in a potentially dangerous sort of way.  :-)

I don't do scooters or cars, just bikes, but my current project is
borrowing parts from a scrapped Honda Spree scooter for it's lighting
and other bits (see the link in my signature to the blog for info and
pics), and is about to borrow some steering components from an '85
Ford LTD (I'd rather use smaller rod-end bearings than the ones in the
Ford, but these are free because I have them, and it recycles
something, too, instead of introducing yet more new things and wasted
packaging and whatnot to the world).

FWIW, I agree with Heinlein, as far as your sig goes.  ;-)

Michael Elliott
Cybernetic Necromancers, Discorporated
Phoenix, AZ
Watch Me Build An Elecric Bike From Recycled Junk:
http://electricle.blogspot.com

ReThink, RePurpose, ReUse.™

To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. --Thomas Edison
You've received this message via Phoenix DIY:
http://sternlab.org/phoenixdiy
phoenixdiy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you're a maker, hacker, or crafter in the Phoenix metro area, join us for
our monthly meetings!

To unsubscribe or edit your subscription settings, please visit:
//www.freelists.org/list/phoenixdiy