[phoenix-project] Re: New Developments

  • From: Nicolas Pettiaux <nicolas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bpajith@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 06:16:43 +0200

Dear Ajith,

I aim, possibly with Georges and Erick in cc, to sell and develop content in French for ExpEYES-17. Possibly also with Pierre de Buyl (a Belgian physicist who loves teaching and Python programming) and Olivier Debeir (a professor at the Free University of Brussels, who also loves teaching and python)

I would also like to develop a full curriculum of physics for the 2 last years of secondary schools as a MOOC with videos to explain the theory and many exercices, but also some related to experiments, especially with ExpEYES-17 connected to Raspberry-Pi ou smartphones or computers.

In my vision of this mooc that I would like to help develop in English and French, it would be such that teachers in schools may recommend to his students to follow the MOOC with him (the teacher) supervising in class. This would allow the students to be more autonomous and evolve at their own speed while being confident that the teacher may also help, and let the teacher devote more time in the class to do experiments some with the Exp Eyes.

Would you agree to be involved in such a project for which I would like to look for funding ? This could be related or be complementary to Khan Academy for example.

Hope to read you soon,

Nicolas

Le 12/09/22 à 04:00, Ajith Kumar a écrit :

Dear  All,
        My previous post was on 28-Feb-2021, now there is something new to report.

 Right from the beginning of this project we have been trying to achieve two goals;
1. *Reduce the total cost of ownership* of the device, including the computer to run it. Low cost laptops, tablets running Linux and single board computers like Raspberry Pi etc. were tested.
2. *Easy development of new experiments* using the control and data acquisition facilities of the device. Simple Python programs were the best solution we could achieve.

Now both these issues have been solved very effectively, by developing an Android app for ExpEYES-17. The program is available on Google Playstore <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cspark.research.eyes17&hl=en_IN&gl=US>, you need an OTG adapter <https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Adapter-Converter-Compatible-Devices/dp/B09BFFSLMC/ref=asc_df_B09BFFSLMC/?tag=googleshopdes-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=607052980955&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8641844229662647540&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007778&hvtargid=pla-1680441584864&psc=1> to connect ExpEYES-17 to the USB port of the phone.

The App supports *Visual Programming, where one assembles programs by dragging and dropping functional building blocks*. Experiments may be performed using small programs assembled in this manner. It is also easy to share such codes with others.

The App can also be used as a tool for learning Visual Programming. In addition to the basic features like defining variables, performing arithmetic and logical operations on them, control flow blocks for  conditional execution and iteration, it also supports array type data and plotting graphs. Building blocks are provided to access the hardware features of ExpEYES.

CLICK HERE <https://scischool.in/expeyes/index.html>for a brief i*ntroduction and a video.* on my websitescischool.in <https://scischool.in/>

The new development is contributed by Dr. Jithin B P , CSpark Research. He has also introduced a new version of the hardware. The new model (SEELab-3 <https://csparkresearch.in/seelab3>) is an upgrade of ExpEYES-17, with different kinds of connectors and a built-in breadboard.

Anybody having an ExpEYES-17 box will be able to use it by installing the new software on an Android phone.

Any kind of feedback is welcome.

with Regards
Ajith

--