[PCWorks] This fix may help others: extremely slow cursor movement when videos are open

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 23:58:21 -0600

I was having a severe problem with my mouse cursor slowing
WAAAAY down about half the time when I would have video clips
open, or, when I would have Windows Movie Maker open.  It was
so bad, I'd have to move the mouse several feet just move the
cursor from one side of the screen to the other!  I would run
out of room on my desk!  If I went back to my Desktop, the
problem disappeared.  But if a video or WMM got the focus, the
problem would come back.

I'm not sure what the actual root or cause of the problem is,
but shutting down the Logitech software (which was EM_EXEC.exe
in the Task Manager), always fixed the problem.  After shutting
it down, the cursor then behaved normally.  But the problem
with this is with the software not running, none of the 5 extra
buttons worked!  Only the 2 basic buttons and scroll wheel
worked, (but if I had custom settings for them, those custom
settings would not have worked either.  It would have defaulted
to typical mouse functions).  The mouse is a cordless optical
MX700 8-button.  It's a USB but I'm using the PS/2 adapter.

The latest drivers for it are several years old, I fail to see
why they don't have newer drivers.  But at any rate that
wouldn't have mattered because these "geniuses" decided to
REMOVE needed features from the latest version!  I'm using
9.75, the latest is 9.79.

So this left me with reinstalling them, and that didn't work.
I had also reinstalled my video card drivers prior to this for
another reason, which of course didn't help.  Hardware
acceleration was on full, none of the advanced settings in the
ATI control center made any difference.

I then decided to unpack their latest driver version and try to
substitute files one-by-one.  This "worked", meaning that even
after manually replacing the DLL files, SYS files, and the main
executable LOGI_MWX.exe (which "activates" EM_EXEC.exe), all
functions still worked, but this did not fix the problem.  I
also changed the versions of all of these files where they were
referenced in the Registry.  Still nothing worked.

While I was in the Registry I made note of several
"interesting" areas that I thought could possibly have
something to do with this.  One that really caught my eye was
"PS2MotionFilter".  It was a REG_SZ entry set to "On".  So I
searched the whole Registry for that line, and found it in 4
areas, and I then changed that to "Off" in each area, and that
fixed the problem.  No more slow cursor movement.

I then created two reg files, one for the Off setting for all 4
Registry areas and one for the On setting should it ever need
to be changed back and forth.  Below is the Off version that
worked for me.  So if anyone is having this kind of mouse
cursor problem, this might fix it for you.  I don't know if
only Logitech has this setting, or if all mice do.  The data
entries for each key path below are identical, so I only left
the full data in for the first key just for reference in the
event someone has this problem and does NOT have the
PS2MotionFilter key but may have the other keys.  Adding it may
possibly work.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\L8042pr2\Parameters\Technical]
"RunTimeCommand"="On"
"PS2DetectIM"="On"
"PS2DetectPP"="On"
"PS2DetectAccuPt4"="On"
"PS2RefreshDeviceEnable"="Off"
"PS2ForceIMFor"="84, 111, 112"
"PS2ReportRate"="100"
"PS2MotionFilter"="Off"
"PS2ExtCommandTiming"="10"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\L8042pr2\Parameters\Technical]
"PS2MotionFilter"="Off"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\L8042pr2\Parameters\Technical]
"PS2MotionFilter"="Off"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\L8042pr2\Parameters\Technical]
"PS2MotionFilter"="Off"

-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner