[PCWorks] Random restarts and blank screens

  • From: Peter Kaulback <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 16:12:47 -0400

I have a computer here that suffered a failed heat sink fan 2 months
ago. The cpu over heated and welded onto the heat sink aluminum block.
Since that time the cpu and heat since have been replaced naturally but
the computer which had many features integrated onboard has begun to
lock up at various points.

A dedicated video card was installed, a Nvidia geforce 220 pci-e yet the
system continues to have nv4disp.dll BSOD from time to time. Also of
late there has been a number of grey/white/brown screens where windows
disappears completely.

The computer will freeze at the opening Asus screen or when windows is
running, sometimes windows just loads and it locks, sometimes windows
will freeze completely requiring a hard restart while sometimes it
reboots on its own.

The mobo is a Asus M3N78-vm with an AMD 6000 x2.

I'm thinking the power supply as no usb items will recharge if plugged
in though the mobo itself may be damaged too.

What do you think?

Peter Kaulback