Re: [PCWorks] Unsorted Bookmarks

  • From: "Harold B." <haroldbraun@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PC Works_LIST" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 20:56:15 -0400

Hello again ... Well, I'm still trying to get that star off the Firefox
location bar. It's on the right side next to the down arrow and it sends
bookmarks to the Unsorted Bookmarks folder. The reason I don't want it is
that it is so easy to inadvertently click it when making changes in the end
of the URL, thus bookmarking pages that I might not be interested in
(interested in bookmarking, that is). I've been talking to some people and
was told to do the following:

See ...
http://ffextensionguru.wordpress.com/2008/05/10/fx-3-removing-bookmark-star-button/

1.  First, completely close out any & all Firefox windows.
2.  Open Windows Explorer, make all files visible, and head to your Firefox
profile folder. The default location can be found by following the path
below:
    C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[8 random characters]\
3.  Open the "Chrome" subfolder and look for a file called "userChrome.css".
This is a text-based file that you'll need to edit, so open it with Notepad.
4.  If one does not exist, make a copy of the "userChrome-example.css" file
and name it "userChrome.css". Open with Notepad and add the following, each
on its OWN line (the very first line is simply a comment to remind you later
why the lines below it are present within that file):
         /* Remove the Bookmark star */
        #star-button {
        display: none !important; }
5.  Close the "userChrome.css" file, approve the changes and then restart
Firefox.

Now this is *supposed* to work. I wonder if anyone in the group has ever
tried it. In my case it does not work but that might be because I might have
made some configuration (or deleted in important related file from someplace
in the system) thus making this tweak not possible for me (at this time). If
that is the case, I'm sure it will work after the next time I do a complete
system restore. --- Harold