Re: [PCWorks] ShieldsUp! and XP firewall

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 07:35:18 -0500

Although "Stealth" is preferred, "Closed" is acceptable, since
they are still, well.......closed. ;-)  But depending on the
security of the PC, they could become opened at inopportune
times.

It's a router (a decent one with a hardware firewall) that will
usually give you "Stealth" at all the ports.  The last two
routers I've used got a Stealth rating across the board even
with my software firewalls disabled.  So I'd get them to use a
router, or a better one if they're already using one.  Or like
Phil said it may just be settings.  But using a decent router
doesn't just give more security, you never have to log onto
your ISP to get online.

RPC has to be open on some PC's since it controls a lot of
things that may be installed or enabled on a PC.  But 'RPC
Locator' could possibly be set to "Manual" depending on their
PC.  It could be the XP firewall "knows" that the PC may not
need RPC open as per the PC's settings, and Comodo may think it
does need to be open.
-Clint

God Bless,
Clint Hamilton, Owner