Re: [PCWorks] Pros & cons of 64 bit

  • From: Hugh Vandervoort <hughv2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 07:21:38 -0500

If you buy a laptop with 64 bit installed, it will have all the drivers
you need. I've had to hunt for a few drivers for my desktop, but they
are readily available.
Vista supports 32 bit as well as 64 bit programs, so that's not a
problem, although it would be better to have 64 bit programs when they
become available. Vista x64 ships with a 64 bit version of IE, for what
that's worth.
I read that article, and it's a bit controversial, as 64 bit program
development is lagging.
The big advantage of 64 bit computing is the available memory
addressing. My desktop only supports 4 MB, but the theoretical max is
2^64, which is a big damn number.
I'm using Vista Ultimate x64, and, while I have a few complaints, it's
just fine, so go for it.
There's a good forum and info source here:
http://www.planetamd64.com/