Re: [PCWorks] Firefox has malware that can't be removed WAS: Why can't this IP/website be blocked in the Hosts file?

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 04:50:08 -0500

No, although a band-aid, it does help:

"I was using Kaspersky for years but after them forcing users
to upgrade to new versions and with each newer version being
more screwed up than before, I had enough of that.  It had an
anti-banner feature on it where you could simply right click
any annoying image ad and "block" it.  So without that feature,
I'm forced to block these annoyances with the Hosts file,
therefore I got rather familiar with it.  I have no other
choice than to block these parasite websites that way,
otherwise the redirects and pop-ups & pop-unders would go
on in an infinite loop crashing the PC.  Now when it redirects
to a blocked domain or IP in the Hosts file, the redirect loops
at least stop for that session."

See my other to reply to Ben about the add-ons.

I've already run more than a dozen anti-malware scanners:

"'I've run scans with all of my anti-malware programs (~a
dozen) and they find NOTHING.'  Yeah, HJT was one of them,
I've been using it since it's been out.  It's usually quite
good at finding these sorts of things, but not this time.
(FTR, I've run 2 versions of AdAware, 2 versions of SpyBot,
MalwareBytes, SpyWare Terminator, MSE, Comodo,
CWShredder [which they haven't updated it in SEVEN years],
SUPERAntiSpyware, 3 products from a-Squared, and SpyWare
Blaster is installed).'"

I've also since run HitMan Pro, ComboFix, TDSSKiller, and at
least a couple of others, some were Rootkit scanners.

There has GOT to be file somewhere that's causing this, or a
setting somewhere in the Registry causing this.  If it were IE
I'd know more of where to look.
-Clint

God Bless,
Clint Hamilton, Owner