[PCWorks] Getting video clips to play on portable devices

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 08:27:22 -0500

Regarding this:
//www.freelists.org/post/pcworks/What-do-you-call-a-portable-device-that-will-play-video-clips-images-and-text

I ordered a SmartParts SP8EM (DPF) because it was REALLY cheap,
and like the rest, it would not play ANY kind of video file.  I
spent over 10 hours over a 2-day period creating every
conceivable type of AVI and M-JPEG (motion jpeg) file (which
the manual says it WILL play), about 85 of them, and none
worked.  (Sucks bad because the jpg image quality was amazing.
Returning it).  So then I thought I'd try those files on the
700PTV (referenced at URL above), again.  Out of the 85, I
found 4 that would "play".  They were AVI, but they had the
MPEG-4 Codec.  I did not have audio on the files at that time.
Two of the files that would play, were too fast, they had the
"MEencoder" wrapper/container.  That left 2 using the FFmpeg
container.  So I converted them with audio, and the one with
wma2 would not play at all, not even the video.  But the one
using mp3 played, both audio and video (I suspected that since
the manual only says mp3 audio formats, bad because wma
sounded much better).  Previously, apparently I didn't try the
audio with mp3 on that device.

"SUPER.exe" was the only program that would work, I already had
it, but I wasted my time downloading and installing another
FOUR programs that "claim" they convert to M-JPEG and NONE of
them worked, in either device.  "SUPER" is free, but good luck
on trying to find the download link since they keep moving it!
http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html  (Ah, currently at the
bottom of this page: http://www.erightsoft.com/S6Kg1.html ).

The 700PTV manual says "AVI" video files.  They have GOT to
change that in the manual and at the website to read something
like:

".AVI files using ONLY the FFmpeg wrapper/container, using ONLY
the MPEG-4 Codec, and ONLY mp3 audio".

So if anyone has issues getting AVI video to play on their
portable TV, media player, or DPF, try that file type.  (Of
course if your device doesn't list AVI, then that won't work).
If these idiots that make and sell these types of devices would
SPECIFY SPECIFICALLY in DETAIL the video types supported,
people wouldn't have to go through all this. <confused>
-Clint

God Bless,
Clint Hamilton, Owner
www.OrpheusComputing.com