[PCWorks] Fixed- All email in Inbox GONE, but Inbox.dbx file still shows thousands of emails, where are they??

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 12:26:35 -0600

I got this problem below fixed.  DBXtract worked, and it works
fine.  The problem with it is it gives you absolutely no
indication of how long it's going to take nor any progress!  It
gives strange meaningless numbers at the bottom that could not
be followed because they were non-sequitur!

I had it extract all emails to a folder.  Then I had to delete
the inbox.dbx file in order to compact the Inbox (OE recreates
any DEFAULT dbx files deleted when you open it again).  Now it
can compact all folders and download email ok.

OE on my Dad's PC is fried.  I told him months ago he MUST go
through the inbox and delete the emails he doesn't need or put
them in other folders because at that time he had 2500+ emails,
and the folders could not be compacted due to corruption.  No
backup could be made either because the program said the same
thing about corruption.  Well, he didn't.  Now at 4700 emails,
the inbox go so corrupted that NO EMAIL could even be
downloaded!  It was giving the error 0x800C0133 while trying to
download email.

So I told him to not try and receive anymore email, I disabled
the auto check for email, and I told him he has to now go
through the inbox and move all the email to a folder on the HD.
Doing a "Select all" of the emails and dragging them to the
folder did not work, nothing happened!  So he's been manually
going through them one-by-one and putting them in other folders
on the HD.  But during this process he really screwed up
something bad.  I have absolutely no idea what he did, but
EVERY EMAIL in the inbox disappeared!  The inbox is TOTALLY
EMPTY.  Yet I looked in the inbox.dbx file in the storage
folder, and it's almost 1GB in size!  Where the heck is the
email???????  How can they be recovered?

If they can't be recovered by conventional means, then I know
about the dbx extractors that may work to extract the .eml
files from the dbx file.  I think I have one or two that I'll
try after reading replies about this problem.

I tried deleted the folders.dbx file, that didn't help.  I also
tried to create a new identity, but it will not switch
identities!  I try and change, OE closes and immediately opens
up again, still on Main Identity!

ALL other folders he's created CAN be compacted.  I have not
tried to compact the allegedly "empty" inbox yet in its present
state out of fear that may clear the inbox.dbx file back to the
default empty (I think it is) 72k.
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner