-=PCTechTalk=- portable apps

  • From: <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 22:46:33 -0400

portablefreeware.com
portableapps.com
U3.com
lupopensuite.com
and probably dozens of other websites have "suites" of portable apps wrapped up
in a launcher of one sort or another.  More offer lists of portable apps that
apparently do not require being wrapped up in a launcher or can (somehow) be
launched using any of the various launchers or no launcher at all.  I am pretty
certain the U3 launcher is proprietary and only U3 smart apps will run in it.
The other three I think are pretty generic and probably any portable app
(except maybe those written for U3) would work OK with virtually any launcher
or even no launcher at all except a shortcut somewhere to click on.

Can apps downloaded from one launcher website be used with a different launcher
or with no launcher at all?

Some apps not specifically written for portability can be made portable by
jumping through a few hoops.  Typically installing in a normmal manner then
copying certain files to the portable drive and then unonstalling the
installled copy.  Doesn't seem worth the extra work with so many apps that do
the same thing readily available without the hoops.

I currently have the portableapps.com suite installed and have installed a few
more apps from their site into the launcher.  This launcher would be a lot
nicer if I could figure out how to put related apps into a folder and thus
shorten a menu that must be scrolled when too many apps are installed.  It
would also be nice if the launch pad would dock off to the side of the screen
like some "widgets" do (Yahoo Widgets and the WinVista widgets for example).
Instead it just disappears and you have to relaunch it every time you want to
launch another app.

Has anybody else tried any of the suites or standalone apps?  Any comments?
Any recommendations for specific apps?  Other than the obvious OpenOffice,
FireFox and Thunderbird.

Don