-=PCTechTalk=- network printers

  • From: <vipe188@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 19:15:29 -0700

Hi all,

A printing services business asked me something that I'm not sure where
to begin to look.  The owner wants to set up a small network, basically
to share files and printers.  Since they are in the printing services,
they want to hook up a lot of printers.  So he asked, "Is there a
maximum number of printers that a small LAN can support?"

Their printers are network laser printers, so they have NIC's installed.
I would think that it just depends on how many switches or hubs are
available--how many open ports will determine how many printers can be
on the network?

Any thoughts on this?

They will have probably less than 10 computers.  Most of them will run
Windows XP Pro.  Memory, switches/hubs are in process of purchasing.

Thanks!