-=PCTechTalk=- friend's new laptop - acting weird

  • From: "Cris" <cris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:38:46 -0500

My friend has a beautiful new Dell laptop.
It is driving her nuts - as it did me when I was just up
there explaining
how to burn a cd to her.

In the middle of working on something - say like today when
we had windows explorer open, something else will pop up -
like - her outlook express address book just opened itself
and popped up on the screen. Another time, a wizard for an
office type program just opened itself. It didn't happen
while I was there, but she said sometimes programs just
close by themselves too.
It also seems that sometimes, hovering over something will
make it react - like an 'ok' button.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? anything I can do for
her or tell her husband to do?
I worked on it for about 20 minutes and was about ready to
toss it out the window!
She also gets some sort of a java prompt that pops up that I
didn't see. She said it is something about updating it.

They are really particular about what is on their computer's
etc. I doubt very much that I could talk them into putting
anti-spyware on it. And - her husband doesn't believe that
it is doing this.... she wants me to tell him that it did it
for me too. <grin>

This is my first experience with a laptop - and I wasn't
impressed .... it is very difficult to maneuver around her
desktop and files because of this.
could it be a setting? is there a hover setting?
HELP !! LOL
thanks!
cris