-=PCTechTalk=- Windows Update

  • From: "ted" <ted_clark@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCTECHTALK FREELISTS" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:47:24 -0000

For those, like me, who weren't aware and wondered when we couldn't update.
cheers ted

EXTRACT FROM KIMKOMANDOS NEWSLETTER
The new Netscape, version 8, uses the best qualities of Internet
Explorer and Firefox. The latter does not work with ActiveX controls,
which are often used by attackers. That makes it safer than IE.
But some sites require ActiveX ability. One such is the Windows Update
site. Firefox won't work there.

However, Netscape does. When it determines that a site is safe, it uses
the ActiveX component in Windows to access the site. When going to
unknown or unsafe sites, it refuses to download ActiveX controls.

Netscape now belongs to America Online. One review I saw complained
that the AOL presence was heavy-handed. It didn't seem that bad to me.
So judge for yourself. You can download the free browser at:
    http://browser.netscape.com/nsb/download/default.jsp