-=PCTechTalk=- " Warning ! ... Adobe Acrobat Trogen Horse on the prowl "

  • From: <mytoybox1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mytoybox1 netzero" <mytoybox1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 15:30:56 -0500

~ Attack PDF prowls for unpatched Adobe Reader PC`s ~
This is a short read . There is a patch available .

Origional announcement from PC World:

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php?id=1569899120&fp=4&fpid=762453&eid=110

The rogue PDF document is attached to spammed e-mail, and arrives with a
filename such as YOUR_BILL.pdf or INVOICE.pdf, said Symantec. It exploits the
"mailto:"; protocol vulnerability disclosed more than a month ago by U.K.-based
researcher Petko Petkov. Don`t open this mail ... it will launch the virus and
install it on your PC .

From C/Net news com:
 On Tuesday morning, Network Associates' McAfee antivirus division became aware
of the first virus--known as "Peachy"--that uses PDF to spread, said Vincent
Gullotto, senior director of McAfee's Avert group.

The Adobe patch page :
http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb07-18.html

The patch involve`s editing the registry ... Ugh !

We might need some help on this one ... being as the Registry is a no man`s
land for a lot of us .

More later ... if I can discover a quicker, problem free solution, to getting
rid of this nasty virus threat .

So far this vernability is at low risk ... no customer`s have reported on an
occurance .

Adobe is working on a patch release .

Send this warning to your friend`s .

LiL OL Me