-=PCTechTalk=- Thank you - fire update

  • From: Keyboard Cowboy <KBCowboy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: !Keyboard Cowboy Group Send <KeyboardCowboyGroupSend@>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 22:13:34 -0700

Just an update for everyone on the BarB-Q (brush fires) out here.....
First, thanks to many of you for the kind wishes and concern.  It's
nice to know so many were concerned.
Thursday it was like being in a war zone.  The smoke was so think
thaty visibility was next to nothing.  A few of the residents of
Desert Mountain were evacuated, anbd all construction crews were sent
home and told not to work until Monday.  The tanker planes and
helicopters flew constantly, it was quite a sight!  Probably the most
frustration came from the fact that even though I'm a
firefighter........I had to sit back and watch.  I wanted to get in
the frey!!!  Having to smell smoke all day and do nothing is like
holding a twinkie in front of a dieter!

On Friday, there were shuttle flights over the new house every 10
minutes or so.  The helicopters flew so close you could feel the
wump-wump-wump of the rotors.  While I didn't serve in Vietnam, I have
a better understanding of what it might have been like near a
helicopter base there.

The fires in the immediate area of the new house are out.  It's not so
good, locally and in other parts of Arizona.  The Arizona Republic
said that 154,000 acres burned this week alone, taxing the state fire
resources.

I also saw many, many fire trucks from neigboring areas.  The paper
says there were nearly 800 outside firefighters in the Cave Creek
fire.  Let me tell you, these guys worked their A**es off.  The
temperature was in the high ninties all week.  I also saw the caravan
of equipment for the Indian jump crew.....it was pretty neat!  Cave
Creek is very near where we have the new home -- it's about 4 miles
North of our home in The Boulders, and just East of the new house in
desert Mountain.  There were actually several fires going at the same
time here...adding to the complexity.  The Cave Creek fire burned
60,145 acres and fire crews are still working it.  It's consumed 11
houses and 3 outbuildings in the Tonto area (very close to the new
home).  The thing that really saved our situationn from being even
worse was that we got rain Thursday night.

Life is almost back to normal........the sun shone bright today  and
visibility was great.  It's hard to imagine that two days ago I
watched fires burning ground material a quarter mile up the mountain
behind the new house.

God is good..........thank you all again for all your good wishes.

       Regards,

          Bob  <=== You're imbedded reporter from the fireground
           ,,,,,,,,
          Ô¿Ô¬
 Griffin Ridge West                 Griffin Ridge East
 The Boulders                          6850 Alberly Lane
 Scottsdale, Arizona 85262    Cincinnati, Ohio 45243
 Phone:  480-595-5920          Phone: 513-561-9090
 FAX:  480-595-1001              FAX: 513-561-7447
           OH & AZ Mobile Phone: (513) 604-4899
 Saturday, 6/25/2005, @ 9:23:43 PM EST
 Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.