-=PCTechTalk=- Strange Virus/Spyware Problem shutting windows

  • From: "Chris Spotta" <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 08:52:13 +0100

Hi

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on a suspected virus/spyware problem
I have on a machine here.

(Dell PC - XP Home SP2)

It's was totally infected when I got it, and I have managed to clean off
over 70 virus's and over 100 items of spyware but I am still having trouble.

What is happening is - every window that is opened is shut either straight
down immediately or after a few seconds, it doesn't seem to matter if it is
an instance of IE, an instance of Windows Explorer, or any other program. -
the only program I have found so far which is not affected is Ad-Aware SE.
it is exactly the same in safe mode.

The other strange thing is that 'folder options' has gone! - it is not in
Control Panel, and if in Windows Explorer you go to the tools option, the
only three choices listed are

map network drive,

disconnect network drive,

and synchronise.