-=PCTechTalk=- Re: wireless router

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCTechTalk" <PCTechTalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 17:49:07 -0400

Hi Steve,
It's not an ideal situation (and I hope it's only temporary for you), but it
IS an excellent question.

Yes, it's possible to use either a wireless router or a 'wireless access
point' to pick up the location's signal and then use it for your own
devices.  If you choose to use a wireless router, you may need to create a
wireless "bridge" and not all routers have this ability.  When in bridge
mode, the access point will only talk to other access points configured in a
similar manner unless the manufacturer has also designed it to talk to
clients as well.  This means you may have to convince the motel's owner &/or
management to turn on this functionality if it's not already enabled
(assuming it's even available on the router they use).  Even with all of
that in place, it's somewhat tricky to set up, so be prepared for a little
trial and error session when you're ready to connect everything.  Although
the router will need wireless ability to send/receive data to/from the
motel's wireless router, I would completely avoid using the wireless ability
of your own router for your own devices.  Instead, use ethernet cables to
connect your devices to the router.  It will not only remove any additional
lag wireless would cause, it will also eliminate any possible interference
between the two sets of signals.

Pre-purchase Info Needed:
The first thing that you will need to do is to learn what model router they
are using (or at least the type of 802.11 it employs) because your router
will need to match the spec (802.11a, b, g or n).  If they only supply the
spec, you will also need to know the type of encryption they have in use, if
any, and make sure the router you choose can support that mode (WEP, WPA &
WPA2 are the normal methods).  Finally, the router will need to be able to
support whatever type of physical cable is sent from the phone (I have no
idea what type of cable these devices use, so I included this here).

If, at this point, you're still interested in persuing this approach, let me
know and we'll look at some of the settings and other things you'll have to
consider.  On the other hand, if this seems like more than you care to
handle, you can also combine a more simple access point and a network switch
to make your connections.  Your devices will not be isolated from the
network like they would 'under a bridge' (pun intended), but neither is
anyone else's at the motel (or on ANY public wireless access service).

http://www.naturalnews.com/023033.html

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"