-=PCTechTalk=- Re: web apps on a usb flash drive?

  • From: dktrfaustus@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 10:32:10 +0100

On 4 Jun 2005 at 16:39, beau thompson wrote:
> hi group
> has anyone in the group tried run a web browser an email program on a
> flash drive an were can I find more info thanks beau

Hi,

A nice, simple idea in theory, but I haven't tried it myself. Bound
to be a few bumps in the road...  :)

I'd say you'll need a browser that will allow you to specify where
all the program data lies, so that you can specify your flash drive.

e.g. instead of C:\temp for temporary files, you pick E:\temp (or
whatever your flash drive letter is).

I imagine you could probably get this running reasonably well with
Firefox. You may need to have some of the data (like your Mozilla
profile) stored on the C drive on initial installation, but with
enough digging through the Firefox knowledgebase and support forums,
you should be able to find exactly where the default locations of
most data is, and how to move it. ("about:config" would also give you
most of them in Firefox).
You'll also need to shift the default locations of:

* bookmarks ("favorites")
* cache
* history
* wherever plugins/extensions are located

Etc., etc.

Certainly, a program like Firefox is very customisable in this way;
you'll probably never manage this with IE, though.

Same goes for the e-mail program. You'll need to re-assign the store
folders for messages, attachments, address book, and so on to make it
truly independent of the machine you're using.

Let us know what programs you're trying this with, and we'll help if
we can.

Faustus