-=PCTechTalk=- Re: two computers one printer.

  • From: ~OoO~ <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mary Lou <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 11:07:15 -0400

Completely understand about the money... as I'm in that boat as well!
:o)
You CAN set up a network with just a cable, though its not a regular patch
cable. Instead, its a crossover cable. Looks the same, except to wires inside
the cable have been reversed. To you, all you need to know is that it must be a
"crossover" cable.

The only problem is its more complicated setting up than you'd want to think,
for Windows XP. They should make it more simple.

The sewcond problem (not really a problem) is that you still need a second
ethernet card to connect the crossover cable onto. You need one ethernet card
for each computer.. this on top of the one you already have which is being used
by DSL.

If you want to try this, there's some instructions here:
http://www.ezlan.net/direct.html

Ask more questions, if needed!
:o)

= SirTroth