-=PCTechTalk=- Re: thumbnails of images in documents

  • From: Disastar <disastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 01:13:21 -0500

I found a way to add a thumbnail of the first page (not embedded pic) of
your MS-Office docs.  I hope this will suffice.  If sounds like it is
possible to make a program to make the thumbnail of an embedded pic, but I
haven't been able to find the code to do so yet.  Here is what I found:

"For Office documents to display a preview, Microsoft Office needs to embed
a thumbnail image in the file when it is saved. This feature is enabled by
default for PowerPoint presentations but not other file types. For other
Office applications, go to File->Properties and select the Save Preview
Picture check box at the bottom for each individual file. This can be done
for Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project. If you experiment with this you
will find that some thumbnails are more useful than others. Most Word
documents show up as rows of squiggly lines. (What do you expect when the
font has been shrunk to 2pt?)"

OK, I do see code for saving a larger pic of that thumbnail to disk which
might be useful to you if you open the pic or if you view the folder in
Filmstrip mode.  It may be awhile before I get a chance to turn that code
into something useful though.