-=PCTechTalk=- Re: pctechtalk Re: cleanup

  • From: "ted" <ted_clark@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:12:32 -0000

Well thought out Don.
i've been doing a muddled version of this for sometime, but have now decided to
make it a fixed routine; i have to, i've got just
8gb to work with.
monday's a good day for me, so i'm starting now.
i would add to your advice with;-
 1.[a]  run all your favourite utilities [i've found eight - no ten - i just
couldn't do without !  (this number is going to go on
increasing)]
 7.      do this routinely [for me, once a week]

DON SAID-----From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: cleanup
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:04:33 -0500

I never would have thought that somebody would delete something without
knowing what they were deleting, unless they plain didn't care.  But... that
is why M$ invented the Recycle Bin.

If I were to delete duplicate files from my machine, without knowing what I
was doing, I would follow these steps...

1.  Clean up all the trash that I KNOW about... temp files, cookies, etc.

2.  Wait 3 to 5 days without deleting anything more or emptying my recycle
bin.

3.  After enough time that I was sure none of the known stuff was deleted in
error I would then empty the recycle bin.

4. Because of Beverly's experience I would make sure I had a bootable disk
and my OS install disk available just in case.

5.  With a clean, empty recycle bin I would then run my duplicate detector
and delete whatever files I thought should be deleted.

6.  I would then wait a few days before I deleted anything else.

Steps 3 and 6 are to have a minimum number of files in the recycle bin to be
sure it would be easy to find files that should not have been deleted.

Don