-=PCTechTalk=- Re: need help with compaq armada 7400 battery problem

  • From: "suzanne" <lailoken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 23:42:18 -0600

what retailers and laptop manufacturers fail to tell people is that standard
ni-cad batteries hold a charge *memory* just like your cell phone does.
best practice is to fully drain the battery at least once a month to keep it
in shape.  and if you work on battery power, wait until it tells you that
the battery is low before plugging it into a electric power source.

suzánne

-----
From: "RMB White"

: I had a Compaq laptop whhich had so many problems that I had to return
: it to the Reseller for a cash refund.
:
: After that, I had Sony laptop for three years; with battery which Sony
: stated had a two year life.  It wore out after only one year and after
: fighting unsuccessfully with Sony, I had to buy a new batt at the
: exhorbitant price of $670 New Zealand ( equals 430 US$).
:
: Again it only lasted 12 months so I traded the Compaq in and now have a
: Toshiba Tecra S1. (which has a reasonable battery replacement costing
: the equivalent of only US$165).
:
: One of my first criteria in choosing a new laptop, is the battery life
: promised and the battery replacement cost (it can represent a hidden
: add-on cost)