-=PCTechTalk=- Re: looking for BIOS upgrade

  • From: "ted" <ted_clark@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 09:50:45 +0100

From: "ted" <ted_clark@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:25:09 +0100
                          sorry - forgot subject.

hi terry
i want to add a 30gb hdd without using ez drive to get past the 8gb limit.

i added a 10gb western digital using ez.  this worked for 2yrs, then 'bugbear'
upset the applecart and i've been using the 10gb as
an '8gb removable' [a windows98 workaround which i can't seem to improve on, no
matter what i try].
the 30gb is second-hand, no makers name that i can find, no handbook, no box,
just bubble wrap.  [how the other-half live]

what do you think about the on-line offer in my previous ??
cheers ted

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:13:08 -0300
From: Davisunit <davist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: looking for BIOS upgrade

First of all, WHY do you want to upgrade your bios?
Flashing the bios is pretty simple - you download an upgrade for your
motherboard model from their website, then copy the bios to a
bootable floppy.  Reboot the pc with the floppy, then give a basic dos command
to start the upgrade.  Some now have upgrades that
can be run from within Windows.
Normally this can be done for free by yourself - first step is
identifying EXACTLY your motherboard brand & model.  Terry

ted wrote:
>2 years ago i researched my mobo/bios and ended with a download from hongkong
>[subsequently lost] that i had no idea what i should
do with.
>in my mainframe days we would have aquired a new cmos of same pattern and
>fired it with a program from the 'soft engineers'.
>does anyone have experience of 'flashing bios' ?  [no rude answers please]
>this started with an article from 'scots letter', went to a test, then
>received this 'e-'.
>can anyone tell me from experience or other knowledge if this is a viable
>proposition ?
>hoping ted
>
>[COPY OF MAIL FROM;-
><dennis_wilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Exclusive Authorized Upgrade and Support Center for American Megatrends BIOS.
>For 15 years, we have constantly upgraded thousands
of
>motherboards and developed new BIOS Upgrades for all the latest technology.
>Our BIOS Upgrades are guaranteed to work on your
system.