-=PCTechTalk=- Re: ad aware etc

  • From: "GuitarMan" <PCTech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 02:44:43 -0400

Mikey,
    It could be any number of things.  It could just be your email program
looking to see if there are new messages ready to download from the server,
your AntiVirus program looking for automatic definition file updates, your
ISP pinging various ports on your connection as a test to see if you're
running a server against their terms of service, etc..

    However, it's also possible that you could have a Trojan horse program
transmitting to some server out there on the net.  Are you running a good
AntiVirus and/or firewall program to protect your connection from
unauthorized use?  If not, you might want to get them installed and learn
how to best use them (we can help with that, of course).  There are also
some really good programs available that do nothing more than scan computers
for Trojan horse activity.  These, like AV software, need to have their
definition files updated in order to do what they do.  If you'd like more
info on these, just say the word and we'll put our collective heads together
to come up with some options for ya.

    Of course, you should still keep in mind that your situation may not be
the result of something like this.  I'm only commenting on the possibilities
and NOT trying to scare the heck outta you (although viruses and Trojans
should be avoided whenever possible).            8^)

Peace,
G Man

PCTechTalk Owner