-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Windows XP Pro OEM vs. Retail?

  • From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:35:33 -0500

Bob-
The OEM operating system is called an OEM because of its license, not
because it differs from a Retail version.  OEM licenses can be sold by
anyone who purchases the software legally. If you are an authorized
Microsoft Reseller, you can purchase the licenses in bulk without having to
purchase hardware.  If you're NOT an authorized reseller, you must purchase
the XP license with hardware.  It is assumed that the OEM license will be
installed on a machine that incorporates the purchased hardware.  Once that
is done, the OS cannot be moved to another machine or resold to another
person, except that it is sold as part of a "system"; that "system" being
the original hardware and the software installed thereon.  IOW, once the XP
operating system is installed on a particular machine, it becomes part of
that machine and the two, software and hardware, become one; a "system"
that cannot be separated, ever.  If the machine dies, you have to buy a new
license for the Windows XP.

A Retail version of the same operating system, ie Windows XP, is NOT
required to be sold to Authorized Microsoft Resellers or be sold with
hardware.  It can be sold in retail outlets to anyone as a stand-alone
product.  It can be installed on a machine and then removed and installed
on another machine.  It is NOT tied in any way to any hardware.

The support options are also different.  OEM versions are supported by the
people who sell the complete machine with XP installed or by the person or
company that sells the software/hardware bundle.  Sometimes these
people/companies provide poor or non-existent support.  That is their
right, as far as Microsoft is concerned.  The only stipulation with OEM
versions is that Microsoft does NOT provide any support.

Microsoft DOES provide support for the Retail versions of XP.  If you have
questions about how XP works, errors, crashes, problems, etc. and you
purchased a Retail version, instructions for calling Microsoft will be
included.

Microsoft provides patches, updates and fixes for XP, regardless of the
version, OEM or retail.

Computers from companies like HP, Dell and eMachines with restore CD's use
a highly customized version of the OEM software.  But the operating system
still contains everything that comes in the retail version.  The larger
companies brand the components, like the desktop background and the IE
browser and litter the desktop with icons.  They may also bundle other
software with the system, but they cannot delete anything in XP from the
start.  They may not install certain components but they're still available
if you know where to look.

And it doesn't matter whether you agree with me or not.  All this
information is available at www.microsoft.com.

And you might do a little reading up on WPA.  Many of the points you raise
in your 1st paragraph are addressed in any discussion of WPA.  However, as
regards "asking around", don't waste your time.  Go to the above website
and read what they say. Since its Microsoft's website, they probably know best.

HTH  Tom

At 02:40 PM 1/19/2004 -0600, you wrote:

Hi
First let me say again, I am not sure of the particulars concerning XP
OEM's.gs