-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Specs for Dell 8300 and Justification Of Same

  • From: J <jbrinklw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Kathy Ferrell <fnkdf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 02:09:28 -0700

Present computer operating as if mired in taffy ............. :)

C drive now says about 550 mg free space............

So it took me a while to get mail downloaded and some
read.................

Thanks SO MUCH for this message, Kat.............

Some feedback from here.............

First let me say - you are right about Dell and India..............  :)
I am sure everyone means well but I tried calling for support in making
a purchase choice and it was just a disaster.  (picture a senior lady
with minor hearing loss trying to communicate with someone with a minor
English loss)  :)    The  young man meant well - but I was never sure I
understood exactly what he was saying.

I have been thinking of either 3.0 GHz  - or 3.2 as far as the processor
is concerned
(but considering the price difference was not sure the 3.2 was worth it)

As far as memory - have 256MB RAM now - and it is NOT
enough.................so had been thinking of 1012.  Again - not sure
this computer might not work properly at 256 if I just cleaned out the
underbrush.

Had been thinking of choosing the 200 GB HD - wondering now about the
advantages of two separate HD's - rather than one large one.   Would I
put all programmes on one of them and saved files on the 2nd?    Belarc
tells me I have 55.35 GB usable HD capacity now........(total of the 2
drives)....    I installed and set up the 2nd HD myself (not knowing
what I was doing).    Somewhere I lost about 20 % of the capacity I
thought I would  have............but I was too grateful to have it work
at all to question this...  :)

But there must have been a reason you suggested two - rather than one
large one?

(I have no understanding at all of Dell's choices - DDR SD RAM vs Dual
Channel DDR SD RAM.......)  or whatever else appears in the fine print
on the site..............

This is as far as I have gotten with your feedback.

Except for the monitor.   The one I am using - a DELL Trinitron P1110 is
just over 2 years old (a replacement from Dell since the original
expired just about the time the 3 year warranty was up).  I thought I
would be able to use it for one monitor on the new system - and use the
monitor that came with the new sysem as a second?     This one is a 20
inch and I suspect I would find a smaller one too difficult to read.
Which means I would be looking for a 20 in. monitor to come with the new
system.   And how would I know the video card would support two
monitors?

Agree with what you were saying re Dell vs unknowns.................
I am sure there would be cheaper ways to go ...............
but I am sure I do not know enough to be sure of what I am
buying..........

Jean