-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Power Supplies

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 16:19:17 -0400

Then your needs are moderate and you should be fine with a PS in the 650W
range.  That will help keep you a bit 'future proof' as you won't be using
all of it at first.  The newer CPUs are built using smaller transistors then
chips made in the past.  As a result, they use a lot less electricity to
run.  However, it also gives makers more room to put more stuff on the die
(mainly larger memory caches), so at least some of that savings is offset.
The best part is that newer offerings based on smaller transistor sizes
usually produce less heat than older CPUs.

I have already done some preliminary research into figuring out some parts
for you to use based on what you told me earlier in the thread.  If you're
ready to upgrade the mainboard, etc., just let me know you want the help and
I'll guide you through the muck to a really good system.  Unless otherwise
directed, my approach is usually geared to find the 'sweet spot' between
bang and buck for all of the parts you choose to replace.

We're about to get blasted with a passing thunderstorm, so the rest of this
conversation will have to wait until I can get back online.