-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Off Topic- Safe websites?

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 09:44:45 -0700

Edmark used to make a program called 'Kids Desk' which provided a special
kids desktop.
You set up what programs they can use, they cannot shutdown or bypass the
program without special keystrokes and password.

I cannot find it on line today but it may still be available on some older
software sections.

See my Anti-Virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
A Technical Support Alliance Member
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/techsupportalliance/

On 19/10/2002 at 11:12 AM David J. Weaver wrote:

If the kid is smart enough to disable software, maybe a good old fashion
trick would work.  Heck I used it in the labs where I go to college, so that
no one would use my computer to visit "non-appropriate" sites.

1.  Find your HOSTS file.  You can usually do a Search to find it.  It
should be located in your C:\Windows or something like that.  If you do a
search you'll also see a LMHOST file.  You don't want that one.  Also write
down the location of the HOSTS file (the directory path).

2.  You'll see an example of how an entry is to look when you enter it.  To
block a site (let's use www.yahoo.com , just type in 127.0.0.1
www.yahoo.com.)  Also I would for this example block yahoo.com in the same
way.  The Internet sees them as two different DNS entries and as such would
allow access through the one if not blocked.  You can do this to as many
websites as you wish.

3.  Get down to a command prompt.  Navigate your way to the folder the hosts
file is in and then type ATTRIB +H HOSTS.  That will hide it for the average
user if your View option in Windows doens't show hidden files.

Go surfing.  If he beats that let me know I can try and find another free
trick.

Dave