-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Odd Tech Question - Reducing Glare!!

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:16:53 -0400

Rudy,
    Fluorescent light bulbs (the tubes, even if they are spiraled like some
new replacements for table lights) are actually called 'lamps' in the
lighting industry.  The word 'bulbs' is only used to refer to incandescent
(rounded, screw-in) type bulbs.  It not a big deal, but I thought I would
make the clarification.      :O)

    If you choose to remove some of the lamps above you, be aware that they
are designed to operate in pairs.  When you uncouple one of them, a second
one will go out or severely dim.  You should then remove that one as well.
the other two need each other to complete a circuit.  In most fluorescent
units, the inner two and outer two make up the pairs.  I suggest removing
the inner two to help spread out light coming from the remaining lamps.

    Finally, the statistics that say that computing is not as hard on the
eyes as previously thought still assume that your lighting situation is not
a problem.  If you feel any eyestrain, it's telling you that you need to
adjust something.  In many cases, simply getting up and doing something else
for a few minutes is enough to let your eyes get a little exercise, but you
can also just look up from the monitor and focus on some other things at
various distances.  Look out the window and focus on a tree outside.  Then,
focus on the frame of the window.  Repeat this a few times and you've just
exercised your eyes a bit.     :O)

http://tinyurl.com/ypbuue

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"