-=PCTechTalk=- Re: OT---Knees (Mary)

  • From: "Glo" <redowl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 22:49:10 -0700

Hi Mary, wow, a year!!  Sounds like a long time, but maybe he meant
until you're up to full capacity again.  I was walking within 48 hrs
both times and went home.  Had to use a walker for a couple of days,
then a cane for a couple more days, then walking on my own ever so
carefully.
I couldn't drive because I have a pick-up truck and a sports car,
neither of which could I get into for about 6 weeks.  Even now it's
difficult to get into the Camaro, it's still hard to bend the left knee
far enough and it's been 7 months.  The right knee has done much better
and it's only been 4 months for it.  I'm just now figuring this out and
realizing that maybe it's because I had arthritis pretty bad in the left
knee, maybe that's why it seems to be taking so long.  I do know a
couple of 80-something ladies who had this surgery and were back to
normal in 2 or 3 months!  So recovery time seems to depend on several
factors including age, activity level, weight, general health, etc.
Maybe your doctor was just being realistic and more honest with you than
mine was with me.  Right now a year sounds pretty close for complete
recovery.  I should have been more specific about the problem I'm
having, which is pain.  If I sit for longer than 10 - 15 minutes I get
so stiff that I have a hard time getting up and have to "get my legs"
before I can walk.  And in the morning (as well as every 2 hours during
the night) it's the pain that wakes me up, but I'm pretty ok as soon as
I get moving around.  I don't want to scare you, but you may never be
able to do everything you used to do--like crawl around your huge
kitchen floor scrubbing.  Guess what, a mop works pretty good!!  But we
don't usually have a choice with this type of surgery, it's kind of a
MUST DO.  Hope this helps. ~Glo