-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Now I need HELP with a corrupted system!!!

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 14:18:39 -0400

Richard,
    Congrats on the addition of a new hard drive.  It rarely hurts to gain
extra space.  As for your divorce, I'm sure it hurts like heck right now.
But I'm going to also congratulate you on that since it marks the closure of
something that wasn't meant to be.  More to the point, it marks the
beginning of your next great adventure, opening up more doors of possibility
than you probably realize right now (and even more extra space).

    The sound issue is one of those mysterious ailments that crops up now
and then.  In most circumstances, it's the result of a bad Windows install,
probably caused by a spike that went through your home at the exact same
time an important support file was being copied to the drive (corrupting
it).  Sometimes, the only cure is to wipe out the install and start over.
However, you might want to try the SFC /SCANNOW trick I recently mentioned
in another thread.  It goes through all of your operating system files
looking for anything missing or corrupted and replaces them with copies from
your source disk.  If the file in question is too far gone, SFC will not
recognize it and the wipe/reinstall comes back to the top of the list as
your best bet.

    To deal with AntiVirus XP 2008, completely remove the new drive,
reinstall the old one, boot into it and follow the following:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/remove-antivirus-xp-2008
OR
http://tinyurl.com/4ooc5t

    If you run into any walls, give a yell.