-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Mail/Spam

  • From: DH Holmes <hayvan2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 16:54:21 +1300

  This correspondence has drifted a little. What comes through to me,
and I don't want to start a controversy here, is that Spam is, to the
ordinary person unwanted email. Simple as that. If the U.S. judiciary,
in its wisdom, decides to put a 'legal' interpretation on it, all well
and good, but that does not alter the common acceptance of the meaning
of the word.  Heaven help us if ever it does.  The English language
evolves through 'common usage' e.g. 'gay', 'OK', ad infinitum. Laws or
judges won't change that. So, in spite of some semi-contrary views on
this list, Spam is, unquestionably, unwanted email. If we, as the
English speaking races want to qualify it, then a neologism needs to be
coined and accepted.

If, someone to whom I have written, a website I have visited or a
company I have dealt with decides to sell email addresses to spammers,
they can go places. I have never willingly or knowingly invited spam. In
fact have always been on the alert to keep clear of suspicious sites. I
know my email address appears on a few websites, but with my permission.

AFAIK every email I have received offering shares of millions of dollars
etc, has come from a different email address, false or otherwise.
Although I have never replied to any of these, had I done so would
hardly cause a sudden influx of mail.  I have changed my email address,
and that has resolved the issue.

All I want to know is that if they resume in the future, is 'bouncing'
them with the MailWasher feature going to reveal that my address is
valid? If so, then obviously I wan't use it. Also, what happens if I
just 'block' the senders address? What message do they get?

With all that has been said about responding to spam on this great list
(great work, KC! & Mods & GM) over the years, there should be no one
that isn't aware of the danger responding to spurious messages, other
than newcomers. Even so, it is frequently repeated enough.

Just my last pennyworth!!

Cheers,

Rick H