-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Lottery Scam

  • From: Robert Carneal <carnealr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 14:32:04 -0600

<Copy>
Most of us will know the Nigerian Scams which have been doing the rounds on
the Internet over the past couple of years, in which the writer (usually a
high-ranking government minister, or widow of one, or even a princess) has
access to some massive amount of US funds (typically $15 to $31 millions),
and requires your "total honesty" and assistance in transferring it to your
bank account, for which you receive some 15-30% of the takings.
<End>

This reminded me of one sent to me quite some time ago (before the wide-use
of the Internet).

I received an invitation to "hunt the most dangerous game known to man." (I
do hunt doves & quail, so that I would get in invitation to hunt was not
that far-fetched.)

It was a offer to hunt, shoot, and kill a Nigerian prisoner for $85,000.
The rules basically were:
If you want to do this, wire $85,000 to [whatever it was] 30 days before
the hunt. They needed the money to prepare for your visit.
The prison warden, two guards, and I would jointly select the prisoner to
be killed.
We would be taken to Nigerian-owned private island hunting resort, the
prisoner's arms would be chained together so he could not forge a weapon.
Close would be taken away from prisoner, so he cannot hang himself.
Dogs would be provided to the hunter.
The hunter had 22 days to find, shoot and kill the prisoner.

Not too sure what to do with that, I forwarded it to the FBI and just put
it out of my mind. Ever since then, +anything+ with Nigerian mentioned in
it gets auto-trashed. Yuck, kill a human for sport? It is not dangerous to
hunt a person who is bound by chains and then cut to make a blood trail for
dogs to follow. It amazes me that the sender thought people would respond
to that.

Robert