-=PCTechTalk=- Re: KVM Switch???

  • From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 10:24:32 -0500

Glen-
Check eBay for KVM switches.  I use an 8 port Belkin Omniview Pro and have
used the Belkin 2 and 4 port models.  These will run with external power or
be powered by the keyboard voltage.  Get the 4 port anyway, because you may
add a third machine later.

Also, check:
www.cyberguys.com
www.newegg.com

Check to see if cables are included, because it makes a big difference in
the price.

You must have the Keyboard and mouse emulation so that the computers never
think that the KB or mouse has been disconnected.  Once they're
disconnected, the operating system has to reboot to re-acquire them. DOS
didn't have to do that.

You can also get KVM switches with switching USB and audio, so choose the
one that fits your setup.  One thing about using a KVM switch is that it
allows you to buy a much bigger monitor without any guilt! <vbg>

Tom