-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Install W98 SE

  • From: dktrfaustus@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 22:29:30 +0100

On 2 Aug 2005 at 13:35, Sammi wrote:
> So I guess what my question really is will I risk losing
> anything/everything if I just install this upgrade?

If by anything/everything you mean your e-mail messages/address
book/account info in OE, then no, you shouldn't lose that. Similarly,
your ISP info is stored separately from Internet Explorer, and will
be retained.

If what you're talking about is a proper Microsoft upgrade CD, and
you are choosing to install over an existing copy of Windows [rather
than perfoming a reformat and starting from scratch], then likewise,
your stuff in My Documents, your favorites, your desktop, etc. should
all be kept.

***** Having said that, I haven't done it, myself, so I can't give
you a 100% iron-clad guarantee! *****

Give the setup program on the CD a trial run - you can always cancel
out of it before you get to the "copying files" stage. Usually
Microsoft's operating system CDs will make it very clear in the first
few steps if you have the option to retain existing info.

Faustus