-=PCTechTalk=- Re: IDE devices

  • From: "BashfulBob" <BashfulBob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 14:24:37 -0500

Hi
I do not have a desktop with XP installed on it. I have one dual boot 98se
and win2k and another puter with just 98se on it.

In both cases, my MB has to connectors for ribbon cable which can attach to
two HD's, for a total of four HD's. Primary master and slave, secondary
master (if you will) and slave.

RAID stands for Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks. It is a set of
specifications for configuring multiple hard drives to increase storage and
capacity and improve performance. Some RAID configurations concentrate on
performance while others concentrate on data security. (Yes I got all that
out of my book :-))

They will operate under one controller. there are five basic levels of Raid.

Raid 0 --- It is the classic striped array for use as a data back up system
without fault tolerance.

Raid 1 --- Is called mirroring or duplexing and involves to drives that are
the same. Both drives hold the same data.When the file is retrieved, the
controller reads alternating sectors form EACH drive reducing the read time
by half.

the rest of the RAID levels are primarily used with larger systems and
involve more HD's.

Hope this info was of some help to you.
Life is what happens in between plans.

Virus free email by Norton's