-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Homepage Hijacking

  • From: Kathy Ferrell <fnkdf@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:47:11 -0800

Hi Glo,  What may have happened is you accidentally typed the URL in
wrong or somehow came upon one of the nefarious web hijackers described
here http://www.cexx.org/hphijack.htm.  Anymore, one doesn't even have
to click on anything to get things like Xupiter which installs itself
after showing a popup that, when the victim clicks on the close button,
actually installs itself and does all kinds of dirty deeds.  It's a hard
one to get rid of as it just reinstalls itself every time you clean it
out.  Go onine to downloads.com and get Spybot.  It's a free app that
will search and destroy all the bots and bad things on your machine.  It
is very useful.  I usually only remove the red items as the others are
more informative as far as possible exploits or holes...and most of them
I want just like they are.  But weekly, at least, just from normal work
browsing at vendor sites, I have at least 10-20 tracking cookies and
junk that somehow appear from the ether.  I am a network administrator
and have seen the same thing that happened to you to some users at my
university.  Very shocking to say the least when a little 65 year old
sweet lady thinks she is clicking on some benign link and all of a
sudden is face to face with endless popups of porn the likes of which
she never even knew could exist.  Talk about freaking out.  Anyway, once
you get rid of whatever has got your machine with Spybot, have it
immunize it as well and there is a check box that will not allow the
home page to be changed.  When something bad tries to install to your
machine, Spybot will let you know and ask if you really want it to.  And
after that...if that stuff happens again, remember to Control-Alt-Delete
and keep ending the IE process until there are no more of them in the
task manager. Then your popups will stop.  Hope some of this info helps.
Kat