-=PCTechTalk=- Re: H E L P ! Machine Froze... and now.... my video will ...

  • From: Foxhillers@xxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 05:23:15 EST

In a message dated 2/22/2004 4:02:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Thanks for the responses.
There were two resolutions to this problem.  I spoke to a tech at the Fry's
store.  (That has to do with the second solution..lol!)
He said that my registry got wiped out.  I should put in my windows CD and
then all my programs so the registry could be restored.
I told him, my programs all run fine.  It is JUST the video.  He said ..well
download the Nvidia drivers again,,, even though the machine said that my
driver was loaded and working properly.

Well, when he said the word restore..my little brain perked.  I said..hey
wait..what about system restore?  He said no.. that when I selected the last
best configuration on rebooting.... it wipes out the info on system restore
and there is no restore.  I scratch my head.. and said ok.  The system
restore DID THE TRICK!

Well, I came home.. with Solution # 2.  My other half bought me a new
computer!  It is a 2.8 mhz machine with a dvd & cd burner combo drive.  It
also has a neat tv card that does cool capturing like a tivo and neat
editing tools that look easy enough that I could learn how to use it.  I had
one before..but it was not that great.  It had 512mb of dual channel memory
and we are adding 1 gb, so... it should be super fast.  I have already
noticed that the web cam shows almost no jerky movement, almost NO delay.  I
also bought it with a 5 year warranty that is transferrable if I sell the
machine to someone else.  I was going to get the Sony one that was on sale
for $1050 after a $100 rebate.... and then saw the one that was $1350 after
rebate.  The one I got was $1099 no rebate. (No monitor..he had just bought
me a 19" flat panel..and we did not need a new monitor.  I have a couple I
could sell.  One is a 17" flat screen Gateway monitor and the other is a 19"
Gateway monitor.  They are both wonderful, but we have replaced them with
the flat panel TFT ones.

I have volunteered to return the pc.  Jerry said nope..your old was old and
you deserve it!  Or maybe he said I was old and needed it...hahaha!  No, he
would never do the second one there.... He is way too sweet.  I may talk to
him tomorrow about returning the machine.  He has saved long and hard and I
feel like HE should get something instead of me.  Plus, if he insists on
getting me something (not this big) then he has to have something too!  We
shall see.  He is pretty firrm right now on NOT returning this.  We shall
see.

So thanks for your help and tips... I just now got done getting the new PC
up and running.  Then we plugged in all the pieces of this one..as we had
followed your advice and unplugged EVERYTHING.  (This did not do it, but I
appreciate the response.)  You are all wonderful.

Thanks to all of you....
Hugs,
Rose

WOW  what a day you've had and what a thoughtful spouse, too.  Mine was like
that and I sure miss him.

You made no mention of brand of your new system.... or it's OS

Take care and have fun!