-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Dell laptop won't power up

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:28:55 -0400

Matt,
    Here is some of the info I've been able to locate on the Dell site.

No Power When Using Only the AC Adapter on a Dell Portable Computer.
This page is the beginning of a Wizard for tracking down the problem.  Run
through the wizard and let us know the results
http://tinyurl.com/yr2xa7

Which AC Power Adapters are Compatible with my Dell Portable Computer?
About half way down the page, you'll see the power charger models that will
work with your laptop.  You may be able to use this to locate a cheaper
alternative.  At the very least, you'll be able to see if the one you have
actually qualifies for use with that laptop.
http://tinyurl.com/28ycrt

While it's not giving you much in the way of feedback, you may still be able
to access the BIOS to make sure it's not the cause of any of this.  After
hitting the power button, repeatedly press F2 and see if the BIOS setup
screen comes up.  If it does, go to the last tab and select the Default
Settings option.  This will revert all BIOS settings back to factory.  If
there was any BIOS corruption causing the problems, this will remove the
corruption.  Of course, all of this assumes that you can even get to the
BIOS screen.

It also dawned on me that the system may be doing everything it's supposed
to do, but you just can't see anything on the screen due to the brightness
turned all the way down.  To make sure, hold down the Fn key while using the
up arrow to raise the brightness on the screen.

http://tinyurl.com/2dy8o7

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"