-=PCTechTalk=- Re: DVD-RW drive about to die

  • From: <recklessmaverick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 22:17:50 -0400

Depending on usage rate the drive may be worn out.  Try downloading and
installing the newest driver for the operating system installed.

I would suggest buy a new drive.  I'd make it an external so it could move
easily to a different or new computer.

If your operating system and the rest of the computer is also 7 years old,
consider a whole new computer.  The dvd burner won't be the last thing to go
bad and in another year or two you may end up spending another 2 or 3 or 4
hundred dollars and have nothing much better than a 10 year old computer.

New e-machines desktops with very good levels of equipment and RAM were
priced under $500 with Win7 and 17 or 19 inch monitors before I left
Walmart.  Also consider laptops at very similar prices.

Don