-=PCTechTalk=- Re: DIY computer

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 12:53:05 -0400

Ah, you know where they are by now.

Peace,
Gman

> *-*-*-
> I have seen that 45nm spec before.  those 45 thing-a-ma-bobs are
> nanometers, right?  And deal with the thickness of the wafers that
> make the chip?

    It IS nanometers and refers to the width of the individual transistors
on the chip.  The thickness of the wafers hasn't changed all that much over
the years, although they are now using much wider disk blanks to net more
chips per etching.

> *-*-*-
> My Dades from Hades (pronounced day dees from hay dees) came with only
> two on the mobo.  Are they making SATA or eSATA optical drives yet?

    Standards now include 4 - 6 on-board SATA ports, although I've seen
more.  When a chipset only allows for 4 and the board maker wants to offer
more, they simply add a separate controller chip for the extra ports.  Yes,
they have SATA optical drives, but be aware that some (or perhaps all) rely
on digital data transfer rather than the old style cable to get music data
to the soundcard (or onboard chip).  If you're not a fan of digital sound,
you won't like this 'feature'.

> *-*-*
> I figured this one would draw the most attention.  I've noticed some
> mobos come with nVidia Northbridge and Southbridge chips.  Would that
> be good to look for if getting an nVidia video adapter?  I've seen one
> mobo that has an HDMI port for the integrated video adapter.  That
> surprised me.  I suspect going with an expansion card will be the best
> route though.

    nVidia's chipset department is a separate entity from their graphics
department.  Unless multiple video cards are being considered, there is
little reason to feel locked into any specific combo solution based on
either end.  An ATI video card will run on an nVidia chipset just as well as
an nVidia card will run on other chipsets.  The bottom line comes down to
which individual components will do the best job for your needs.

    As far as graphics is concerned, ATI has a little better than a slight
edge for gaming systems while nVidia continues to hold the crown for most
other things.  Of course these opinions are subject to change every time
these two companies release new drivers.

    MUCH more to come on this subject!

> *-*-*-*-
> Realtec is definitely off my list.  Creative has been forced to make
> room for alternative audio cards.  While browsing through barebones
> kits (including some expensive ones - $600+) I saw only one mobo with
> audio with 5.1 audio ports available.  Remote control over audio and
> video will be very nice but could possibly, but unlikely, be done
> without.
>
> I like surprises.  When I know they are coming.  :-))

    I see no question here, so you'll get no answers.

> *-*-*-
> Many external devices do indeed have their own power cord, but 2.5"
> hard drives draw from the computer and my Maxtor 2.5 even requires an
> extra USB connector for extra power.  Had I known that at the time, I
> would not have purchased it.

    The 2.5" hard drives are designed solely for short interval (temporary)
laptop use where portability is at a premium.  They were never intended for
use with a desktop system.

    I cannot do anything with this other than to remind everyone to research
the snot out of anything they are considering for purchase.  The question is
not whether the device can do what their marketing department says they can
do.  The real question should always be "What are they NOT telling me about
this device?".  Search the internet forums and actively LOOK for complaints
and issues others have with the device before you plop down your hard-earned
on it.  Complaints should not necessarily be used to talk yourself out of
something.  There will always be a certain percentage of units that don't
perform up to spec and they supply warantees & RMA's to deal with that.
Instead, use them to prepare yourself for what you can expect from a fully
working unit and base your decision on that data.

> *-*-*-*
> I assume you mean external hubs.  I have one (non-powered) and it is
> virtually useless.  Useful only as an extension cord. Thumb drive and
> a card reader work but nothing else.  Would a powered external hub be
> different?
> Some devices are too fat or too wide and prevent easy use of adjacent
> ports.  I will be VERY mindful of that in the future but a little
> extra space would help also.

    No, I mean adding a PCI or PCI-x card that can give you 2 - 4 extra USB
(&/or firewire) ports in the back of the case.  I suggest avoiding USB hubs,
powered or not, because they sometimes cause mysterious disruptions through
parts of the rest of the system.  The KISS rule applies here.     :O)

> *-*-*-*
> Yep.  But all I saw while browsing was 2 slots per main board.  That
> would make it expensive to upgrade from 4GB to 8GB if/when that became
> necessary.  I probably should not worry about that though as by the
> time I want 8GB of RAM I will also want a new computer.

    Then you're not looking in the same places I look.  Most have 4 - 6 RAM
slots.  I suspect that you may be seeing the number of PCI-Express slots
(used for video and physics accelerators) and confusing them with RAM slots.

    Newegg listing of X38/X48 chipset based Intel boards
http://tinyurl.com/6ynwcg

    Same thing using the P43/P45 chipset base
http://tinyurl.com/6n7ccu

    Repeat using nVidia's nForce 700 chipset
http://tinyurl.com/6xfy7t

    Notice that some are designed specifically for nVidia graphics cards
(SLI) or ATI cards (Crossfire).  These specs only apply if you're thinking
of running two (or more) video cards at the same time.  However, even for
single card applications, I would still pair an nVidia card with an SLI
based board, just to avoid unforseen conflicts.

> Absolutely.  I've been eyeballing a very nice looking Vizio 32" plasma
> HDTV.  Stunning picture.  Extra heat of a plasma is not my favorite
> thing, but that picture!!! WOW.  And it is only 720p.  The 22" LCD
> Vizio or Samsung are more practical and the Samsung is this >< close
> to the same picture quality as the plasma.
>
> I have the thought that 720p vs 1080p in a small screen (32 or
> smaller) is not as critical as it is at larger sizes.... especially in
> the 50" plus ranges.  Should I banish that thought?  720p has lower
> resolution (on the TVs I sell) than a 1080p.  That bothers me a bit.
> Should it?

    LCD, Plasma, etc. all come down to personal choice and I will not be
adding in my own opinion since I will not be the one viewing the screen.
The only thing I WILL say on this is that ALL of the different technologies
have been vastly improved over their initial offerings, so only accept the
latest data and forum input when comparing types.  Top resolution will only
play a critical role when it comes to HDTV which demands specific
resolutions and compatible circuitry before it can be properly enabled.
Don't get caught without full support if HDTV is important to you.  Start by
studying the entire contents of the subweb below (including direct links),
then we'll be able to talk without too much confusion about the rest of the
system's support for this feature.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108580-3.html

> *-*-*
> I can go 32-bit while I learn 64-bit Linux.  I'm not too thrilled
> about learning a new OS but . . . . . . .

    Until it fully matures and bypasses 32-bit as a supported platform,
32-bit vs. 64-bit operation is not nearly as important as the features and
ease of use you get with any software package.  There are Linux distro's
that have been developed specifically for controlling home media centers
that hide most, if not all, of the technical stuff.  The GUI's they employ
are very similar to what you would see within MS's versions.  Again,
research is the key to finding the best solution for your needs.  A quick
web search for the terms "Media Center Linux" will put you in the driver's
seat.

> *-*-*-*-*
> Perhaps a bit more info will help here.  I want this system to more or
> less be a learning tool before I blow the $BIG on a "proper" system
> for the home entertainment system.  At the same time I want it to also
> serve the "normal" home purposes.  I can add some components as I move
> along this learning curve.  I figured dual core and 4GB would be an
> adequate starting point along with a modest internal SATA HD, a simple
> internal optical drive (DVD or BlueRay ROM), additional hard drive and
> optical capabilities via external devices, an external powered USB hub
> and a small HD TV.  I would upgrade to a hi-def PVR and/or BlueRay
> burner eventually.  (I am finding that the more I use flash drives and
> external hard drives the less I use my DVD burner.  Am I the only one
> to think that DVD burners are on the way out?)
>
> This system will sit in my computer room while I learn how to use it
> all and then when wall size HDTVs are affordable (Yea Right!) I'll be
> ready for it.  Hopefully notebook computers will be capable to support
> all this when that time comes.

    And I'm holding out for full support for true speech recognition (I'm
soooo tired of organizing my files manually) and many firms, including MS,
have been promising this since sometime in the mid 90's.  Doesn't mean I'm
going to live long enough to see it in action, though.  I have noticed that
no one is actually promising it out loud anymore.

    Don't waste your time or money on a toy system.  Look for parts that
will allow you to upgrade as the need arises without having to scrap your
initial purchases.  Expect that you will occasionally want to replace the
core components (mainboard, CPU, RAM) with newer tech as it becomes
available (and matures well enough to implement), so get the perfect case
and a PS with plenty of headroom now.  You can always wipe the drive and try
a different OS, so that's not a big issue, either.  The vast majority of
your learning should be done before you even spend a dollar on a part you
think you 'might' be able to use.  Bottom Line:  Learning on something more
than a toy will not take as long as you seem to anticipate and you will be
quickly disappointed with limitations imposed by a less than adequate system
for your needs.  Go for the gusto and stop teasing us poor people with talk
of building throw-away practice systems.           LOL

> *-*-*-*
> Cool and quiet are important.

    More than you realize if you've never had a computer running in the
living room before.       :O)

> There is a full range of options for everything... from cheap to
> sublime.  Anything below sublime will entail sacrificing at least a
> little bit of something or several things.  I don't want to sacrifice
> too much or too little and don't want to sacrifice in the wrong areas
> either.  Thats why I need all the help I can get here.

    And that is foremost in my mind as I make my suggestions.

> Thank you.
> Don

You're welcome,