-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Computer is slowing down (updated w/stats)

  • From: Jim <n1jmm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 11:41:33 -0400

If I followed that right your saying it takes 10 minutes and 10 seconds to get
completely booted up. WOW !!!!

That's more than twice as long as my machine takes.

If you boot say to a win98 floppy I suppose it boots quickly.

Depending on the mode you have norton anti-virus set to, NAV may be checking
every file as it loads every time it loads, this will cause the machine to be
real slow, you might check NAV's configuration. Some reasons NAV might make it
so slow is until
windows is up and running drive access is handled differently and memory
management is different and memory is limited. Of course loading so many
programs/utilities on bootup lengthens the boot time.

Explorer <- windows explorer
Zone Alarm
IOWatch <- system level
CFD(?) <- what's this
Systray <- system level
Rundll32(?) <- system level allows .dll files to be run
Navapw32 <- Norton anti-virus??
Atizevxx <- ?
Enternet <- ? r u sure this wasn't Ethernet
Imgicon(?) <- ?
AOLtray <- another slow down
Qttask(?) <- ?

Do you have your hdd's configured correctly, running as fast as they can?
256mb memory should be enough for this, more would help.
r u using a permanent swap file of 2 to 3 times your ram size? If not, this may
help. Best to put it on the fastest hdd and make sure the file is defrag'd,
Norton speeddisk does an excellent job of making  the swap file one contiguous
set of blocks.

-Jim-