-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Cleanup

  • From: "Harold B." <harold7@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 17:43:50 -0500

Hello again,

I use Cleanup, and BeClean, and CCleaner, and CleanDisk, and CleanSys, and
CleanUp, and HDValet, and SpaceOdyssey (what one cleaner will miss, another
will get) --- and probably have the cleanest computer in the world. That's
my own individual crazyness. And I do the same thing for the Registry that
also accumulates junk (EasyCleaner, RegCleaner, etc).

But rather than hold doubtful files in the Recycle Bin where anyone of the
above "cleaners" might empty that bin, I have a folder on the desktop that I
call "Hold". Inside that "hold" folder I might when necessary have other
folders indicating where "held" files are from. Then when I am sure these
"held" files are no longer needed, I delete them. Regarding "duplicate
files" it is dangerous making deletions there; at least, it takes a lot of
know-how to know what is or is not necessary. With all the above cleaning I
do, I find most duplicate files (mostly DLL files) to be small enough to
live with.

Don said --- I never would have thought that somebody would delete something
without knowing what they were deleting, unless they plain didn't care.
But... that is why M$ invented the Recycle Bin. If I were to delete
duplicate files from my machine, without knowing what I was doing, I would
follow these steps...

> 1. Clean up all the trash that I KNOW about... temp files, cookies, etc.
> 2. Wait 3 to 5 days without deleting anything more or emptying my recycle
bin.
> 3. After enough time that I was sure none of the known stuff was deleted
in error I would then empty the recycle bin.
 > 4. Because of Beverly's experience I would make sure I had a bootable
diskand my OS install disk available just in case.
> 5. With a clean, empty recycle bin I would then run my duplicate detector
and delete whatever files I thought should be deleted.
>6. I would then wait a few days before I deleted anything else.

>Steps 3 and 6 are to have a minimum number of files in the recycle bin to
be sure it would be easy to find files that should not have been
deleted. --- Don