-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Can it get zapped?

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 21:48:09 -0400

DJ,
    I didn't see any replies to this, so I'm answering late.  The short
answer is Yes.  Once a large spike hits the mainboard, it's free to travel
wherever it can reach.  However, the long answer is 'probably not'.  One of
the first components such a spike would hit are diodes which serve as one
way traffic directors (and double as LEDs when designed as such).  Diodes
are rated for a certain amount of current and will basically blow up if
confronted with much more than that, effectively cutting off the rest of the
components attached to the board from further damage.

    So, in theory, it's possible, but unlikely.  Your best bet is to simply
unplug the whole thing when an electrical storm approaches.  And remember
Kids, "If you can hear the thunder, it's already close enough to fry
something."         :O)

Peace,
GMan